National Economy a Washington Story?
4% - Amount of economic coverage focused on the housing crisis
With the battle over the national debt, an unstable stock market, and stubbornly high unemployment numbers, the national economy has been a major topic in the news. Indeed the economy is the most covered story in 2011, accounting for almost one-fifth or 18.3% of newshole, thus far.
What economic storylines have made up this coverage?
According to PEJ’s News Coverage Index, nearly half (45.6%) of the economic coverage from January 1 through August 21 has focused on the hotly disputed national deficit and budget. An additional 16.9% dealt with budget battles at the state and local level. Combined, nearly two-thirds of the economic coverage (62.5%) focused on political fights stemming from budget and debt negotiations.
Aspects of the economy receiving less coverage included attention to unemployment and jobs (7.9%), the ongoing housing problems (4%), and the general effect on average Americans (1.5%). Together, these three aspects, which directly affect many Americans, accounted for just one-fifth of the attention generated by the budget battles.
Tricia Sartor of PEJ